For most marketers, consultants are held in particularly high esteem. While they may be perceived as high cost, they’re usually considered well worth their price. Some marketers may even go to great expense and distance to choose just the right marketing consultant, based on the firm’s experience or the project team that will be assigned to their initiative.
We wonder how many of these same marketers ever consider their own ad agency in the selection process. Your ad agency should be a valuable consultant. After all, they should already know and understand your business and be capable at remaining objective enough to provide honest viewpoints.
We’d like to suggest that before your next major marketing initiative, you ask some tough questions of both your ad agency and any other marketing consultants being considered before reaching a final conclusion. Questions such as:
- What kind of experience do you have, and can you provide examples of the breadth of your knowledge and services?
- How well do you know my industry and my business?
- Do you have specific experience with projects such as ours?
- What problem solving process will you employ? Is strategy development part of that process?
- Who are the team members who produced the solutions shown, and would these same team members be assigned to my initiative?
Don’t miss this opportunity to fully utilize your ad agency as it’s meant to be utilized. Provided you have the right agency, it should prove to be a valuable marketing consultant. After all, if ad agencies weren’t so good at solving problems, consultancy firms wouldn’t go to such lengths to pursue and hire ad agency talent.